Progress has not been as fast as I hoped lately. There are several reasons for this, but most of it is probably due to a lack of planning. When I finally started programming RustRAT I had a very specific idea of what I wanted to start with. After I finished that specific, little part of RustRAT, progressed seemed to halt to a grind.
While I have slowed down some, progress seems slower than it is because my plan is less detailed for this part of the development. My initial plan looked something like this:
Glue together wasm3 and libffi so that wasm blobs can call arbitrary functions.
When deciding on the architecture for RustRAT’s C2 server, I went for something asynchronous. There are no very good reasons for this, but I have never really written anything major in an asynchronous manner before. Besides, a lot of nice looking Rust crates are also written using asynchronous code, so this lets me play with them.
As I am doing something I have never done before, progress is slow as I play with tokio, figure out what to put in my .env file to get sqlx to compile, and attempt to handle HTTP requests with warp. All in all it is an enjoyable experience, mostly.