Posts with the tag rustrat:
September, October, November, December, and most of January passed by silently without any RustRAT updates. There are many reasons for this, the two main ones being that I sort of lost the spark after completing a sort-of usable tech demo, and that work mostly fulfilled my programming needs with a few interesting assignments. Now I am back in action, however, and first up is making it more ergonomic to write code that is intended to run in the WASM “sandbox” (which is not much of a sandbox at all with all the holes I am punching in it).
I spent most of my summer vacation doing other things than programming malware, but now I am back in full force. First on the agenda is “releasing” version 0.1, and the release date is fast(-ish) approaching as the list of things I want done before version “0.1” keeps shrinking. Today I pushed the first code for the largest remaining part, the server’s user interface, which I have decided to name badtui.
It is now one year since I wrote the first blog post about RustRAT. Even though I did not start writing any actual code until this year, I still consider this some kind of anniversary. On this anniversary, few of the goals I set for version 0.1 remain. However, as I have worked on RustRAT, I have come to realise that quite a lot remains until RustRAT is something I would consider using in an engagement.
A couple of weeks ago I accidentally installed Civ 6 again, which reduced the time I have had available for other non-essential activity. Fortunately, I have just about had enough Civ for this round, which means that I should shortly have more time for things like RustRAT again. Progress has not halted to a complete stop, however, and rustrat-server is now more or less ready to receive incoming connections over HTTP. The server is not very usable at the moment, and before I have something even remotely ready for testing, basic logging and some interface to actually interact with the rats is needed.
Progress has not been as fast as I hoped lately. There are several reasons for this, but most of it is probably due to a lack of planning. When I finally started programming RustRAT I had a very specific idea of what I wanted to start with. After I finished that specific, little part of RustRAT, progressed seemed to halt to a grind.
While I have slowed down some, progress seems slower than it is because my plan is less detailed for this part of the development. My initial plan looked something like this:
Glue together wasm3 and libffi so that wasm blobs can call arbitrary functions.
When deciding on the architecture for RustRAT’s C2 server, I went for something asynchronous. There are no very good reasons for this, but I have never really written anything major in an asynchronous manner before. Besides, a lot of nice looking Rust crates are also written using asynchronous code, so this lets me play with them.
As I am doing something I have never done before, progress is slow as I play with tokio, figure out what to put in my .env file to get sqlx to compile, and attempt to handle HTTP requests with warp. All in all it is an enjoyable experience, mostly.
The libffi bindings are now working, which means that RustRAT is now able to execute WebAssembly binaries, and those binaries can call arbitrary functions from dlls. I have also uploaded the code to github, so it is possible to follow the progress at https://github.com/rustrat/rustrat
. In this post I will briefly mention what has been done so far, the next step on the way to a full-fledged RAT, and finally a little guide on how to call MessageBoxA from a WebAssembly binary.
The present Currently RustRAT is not very exciting, but it is possible to demonstrate the libffi capabilities. The “rustrat-client” executables can be used to execute WebAssembly binaries, for example from the “demo-messagebox” crate, which will call MessageBoxA.
It has been three weeks since my last post, and progress has been slow. I will be trying to write small status updates semi-regularly both to keep myself motivated and try to document the development of RustRAT.
Since last time, I have written code for running WebAssembly programs and for calling arbitrary functions from DLLs at run-time using libffi, more specifically with the libffi-rs bindings. Currently, I am working on trying to put these two parts together using a lot of ugly and unsafe Rust. The code gluing these two parts together will not be easy to read, even harder to alter, and quite possibly impossible to debug, but I am hoping to have something that works (for certain values of work) in a few weeks.
It has been more than six months since I wrote the first blog post about RustRAT. During these months, the closest I have come to actually doing something has been to build myself a new computer with many cores in order to compile code faster or something like that. However, rather than develop RustRAT I have been busy playing all the games I have been unable to play the last ten years due to lack of a computer able to play recent games.
It is about time for me to actually attempt to create RustRAT. The plans are mostly unchanged since the last blog post, but I have made one significant change.
I am writing this blog as I started developing a RAT during the spring of 2020 and wanted a place to document my ideas and progress with this project. This is something I have been planning on doing for a couple of years, but I did not get around to actually writing any code until this spring. RustRAT is as its name suggests, a Remote Access Trojan written in rust, and even though it is not included in the name, lua.